Sport Marketing Association – Temple (SMAT) is an SPO in its second year of existence. The organization has strong leadership from engaged students and is advised by Joris Drayer. One of Dr. Drayer’s primary initiatives is to engage students with the parent organization (Sport Marketing Association – SMA) which hosts a conference each fall (to be hosted by Temple/STHM in 2014). SMA actively engages students in its conference in a variety of ways including job fairs, industry panels geared for students, and a case competition.
Through the case competition, STHM and SMAT hope to increase student involvement in the SMA National Conference as well as provide opportunities for students to get specific feedback on their solutions to relevant sport management problems from both academics as well as prominent industry professionals. In preparation for the National Conference in October in Orlando, STHM and SMAT will host a Temple University Case Competition with the winning team receiving funding to represent Temple at the National Conference in October.
1. Case teams are made up of four (4) individuals. At least one member of each team must be (or sign up to be) a SMAT member for the semester.
2. You must register your team and choose a time slot no later than September 17th at 5pm. You can register with Dr. Drayer in Speakman 367.
3. You will present your solution on September 24th during your assigned time slot (between 12-4pm) in Speakman 394.
4. At 5pm on September 17th, you will receive a case which outlines a problem in the sport industry. Within your team, you are to carefully identify the problem and develop the best solution.
5. You will have 10 minutes to present your case (PowerPoint and/or other visual aids are allowed). There will be a 5 minutes Q&A session afterwards from the judges.
6. Judges will consist of a mix of STHM faculty and industry professionals.
7. Winning team is expected to attend the SMA National Conference in Orlando, FL and will receive up to $2,000 in funding from STHM and SMAT. Students are responsible for any expenses above this amount.